START HERE: Welcome to Stop Motion Short Films!

From the animated short film "TREJUR" created by Thomas Kim

Welcome! We’re going to be looking at a lot of stop motion animated short films here so if you are new to this blog I’d like to share with you what to expect as well as recommend a short film for your enjoyment.

Let’s first go over what you’ll find in my reviews. I structure my reviews into 3 parts: Plot, Let’s Talk About It, and My Critique.

Plot:   This part is pretty self-explanatory. I go over the setting and closing scene as well as important events in the story. Since it is a short animated film, you might find I include almost everything that happens. This part does have SPOILERS so read at your own discretion if you have not watched that short yet.
P.S. I think you’ll enjoy my content a lot more if you watch the short film before reading my review!

Let’s Talk About It:    This is my discussion section. Here is where I discuss how I felt about this short, what I think the moral is and any symbolism I found in the film. I also like to leave a question for you to think about and answer in the comments if you like!

My Critique:   Here is where I summarize what I felt were the highlights of the short based on the criteria I observe when watching these films (see below). I also emphasize how the use of stop motion animation enhanced the story. Finally, I like to include “my key takeaway from this short” which is a significant point I found that I want to share with you as my closing remark.

CRITERIA
      1.      Short Film criteria
a.      Plot – the story’s moral, pace and impression
b.      Characters – character performance, relatability and likability
c.      Visuals – visual appeal of the settings and characters and how well they enhance the story
d.      Music – if the music is an important part of the film and aids in the storytelling
  
      2.      Stop Motion Animation criteria
a.      Visuals – how the visuals showcase the unique features of stop motion while enhancing the story
b.      Characters –if creators managed to bring life to the characters

Recommended Short Film: “Head Over Heels”
Now for my recommended short film!
“Head Over Heels” is a British 2012 animated short film written by Timothy Reckart.

I chose this short because it’s one that I feel does a good job in all areas of my criteria. It also  has realistic characters and a thought-provoking moral about the hard work that is human connection- something we can all relate to. It is visually appealing and uses stop motion animation to enhance its realistic story, rough characters, and touching moral. Enjoy!

Comments